Thursday, February 4, 2010

"Trick of the Eye"




New Technique!
Hello everyone,
What did I say... another day, another blog, and yet another artwork!
This is a painting I did back in May 2008. It's title is "Trick of the Eye" it's size is 3x3ft, and is roughly 2ft off the ground. The coffee table is still available for purchase and is listed at $295.00
During mid year of 2008 I was starting to explore techniques, mediums, and different methods of painting. They way I figured out how to create this marble look is quite funny, and I'd like to share it with everyone.
So every time I wash my brushes in the sink the colors from each brush combined with the water would create this beautiful swirling array of colors which made me (surprisingly) thoroughly enjoy cleaning my brushes. It's funny how things work cause ever since I started painting I always enjoyed this effect and had not even thought of incorporating it into a painting! At least not until this painting! By painting with mounds of water, layers, and paint on glass (and making a HUGE mess might I add) I was able to create what I love so much about cleaning my brushes. Ha, ha!
After the table top was finished I found that the combination of the earth tones, the painting technique, and it being under glass created a marble effect, which I just adore!
To this day I can't get enough of this technique in my paintings... Who would have thought that ACTUALLY enjoying cleaning would bring you success?
Experiment gone right! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment