Wednesday, February 17, 2010

"Unconditional"


Commissions! What a Wonderful Thing!
I thought it would be interesting to you, my fellow viewers, if you could see where my commissions come from!
This is one of my most favorite pictures of my brother Ryan, and his girlfriend Kristen...
Can't you just feel the love?!
I did this painting for them without them knowing as I already knew they would love it and it is a fabulous picture that just screamed... Paint Me!
Right after I surprised them with the painting I got an "Awww, thank you! We love it!" ...Then straight to "Are you sure my nose looks like that?"
... Got to love family!... :)

For this painting I used a stain technique, which involves a lot of water and a lot of mess. By using a stain technique the colors and patterns blended together a bit where it created a softer more subtle look. This I thought was appropriate to the theme of the picture and the feeling I wanted to push even more in the painting. I am quite pleased with this one because I don't think anyone could look at this painting and not appreciate the feeling they get from it.
Plus it's a nice painting :)
If you check on my website at the thumbnail of this painting you will see my most favorite part. But really, when you are happy with a piece sometimes it is hard to choose!

So if any of you were wondering how commissions work... a picture, an idea and a lot of talking is normally the route I take with my customers. However, a lot of the time people will have their own ideas without a photo and I will work with them on background ideas, textures, subject matter, color schemes, etc.
I find it a lot of fun working with other people on commissions because it is a different type of art, where you have to listen and use your techniques and inspirations to represent the style and outcome the customer intends for. However, it is also equally important to combine my own artistic inspiration of how I see that image or person as the customer has come to me because they like my style as well as their own. But then I will get some customers who will come to me saying... "I am no artist, so you know best, but I love how my kids boots are pink, and I love the color red." Now those paintings are the most fun!

In a few days I will post one of my newest paintings that I have been working on for the Sagebrush theatre here in Kamloops, BC. I will be having an opening sometime in the next month and I will be sure to invite you all to join me and view my new work through out the Sagebrush!
Happy hump day!
...aka Wednesday...middle of the week...over the hump...downhill slide to the weekend...

1 comment: