Friday, October 1, 2010

"Glitsy" & "Glamy"

 "Glamy"
Acrylic on Textile
32 x 24 in.
SOLD

"Glitsy"
Acrylic on Textile
32 x 24 in.
SOLD

This is the type of painting that I fantasize about. The colors, the style, the flare, the subject, and the medium are all things that make me want to get up in the middle of the night, and skip a steak dinner just to paint!...In theory of course... 
Although it is difficult to tell in the pictures, these two paintings were one of my first textile paintings created with a satin, and a shimmering iridescence type of material!! 
I started playing with fabrics late 2009 and discovered a whole new flare in my creativity. In these particular paintings I layered two types of fabrics on top of each other. The first fabric was a satin fabric in a greyish blue tone, then on top I stretched a very sheen organza material that shimmered gold one way and blue/green/gold when turned the opposite way. As you can imagine it was difficult to capture this type of material and the painted image altogether with a camera... So I hope I have explained it well enough that you can get the right idea...in any case it was very intriguing, and especially interesting to paint on! This painting was very much about the brush strokes as the two different fabrics layered upon each other made a very odd textured surface and the paint would get caught underneath the first fabric and a lot of the time create it's own "brush stroke". As soon I started this painting I was floating on cloud 9, creating a mess and not exactly knowing where the painting is headed is when my best skills come into play. There is nothing I love more than discovering something new, and figuring out how to make it Perfect-o! So you can imagine the amount of mess I create on a daily basis. :)
I am very proud to be able to talk about these paintings and have them on display in my blog as they sold quite quickly when they were available for purchase last year. 
The reason why I choose these paintings for my blog tonight is because I have came back to this technique again in the paintings I am working. At the moment I have a few in my studio that are on their way to completion. So stay tuned for more textile paintings!


...However...just to keep your mind wandering here is another one of my textile paintings below, which is a lot different from the two paintings above as this one is a very textural painting on a very sleek, grayish/mauve satin material. I currently (9/29/10) have this painting, along with many others, on display at Awesome Blossom in Kamloops, BC
...Happy Viewing!

"Sheen"
Acrylic on Textile
2x1 ft.
SOLD
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment