Thursday, October 7, 2010

"Defiance"

 "Defiance"
Acrylic Stain on Canvas
3.5 x 2 ft.
$645


“Defiance" is part of a four piece set that was inspired by our world’s everlasting vintage fashions.
I painted this painting in April/2010 with the desire of creating a pop art type of style. I wanted to make the illustration as realistic and artistic in the brush stokes as possible with a very flat background to exceed the most amount of "pop" when viewing the painting in real. I accomplished this very effect by using a stain technique in the background, and much thicker brushstrokes in the figure. By using these techniques beside each other among the colors I chose it has created much depth in the painting. I am proud to say I am very pleased with these paintings as they turned out just the way I had imagined them! :)

Even though this painting looks like it is a gray scale painting on a pale yellow, it is actually painted with a titanium white, crimson (deep kind of purple-ish red), burnt umber, and phathlo blue to create a black and white look without using black at all. I love painting with color rather than black and white because it adds more depth to the painting, and since it is an image of a human it gives the figure a more realistic and warm appearance than it would if it was painted with the flatness of black.

Click To View Available Prints of this Painting

Please view my 
Official Website
To see where the painting is currently on display.

No comments:

Post a Comment