Thursday, March 4, 2010

"Leanchoil"

Your on top of the world! Mountain Peaks
I don't know if it's from being from Revelstoke or if it's just cause the tops of mountains are so magnificent but I have found myself drawn to various peaks of mountain tops and thoroughly enjoy painting them! I wanted this particular painting to be solely about the shapes creating movement and color. It is a bit difficult to see the real colors in this picture but with the reds, purples, yellow ochre, and turquoise really makes me tingle, and excites me to paint more! I like how it is not as distinct as perhaps some of my other mountain paintings and when I look back at it I think it has a lot of character with the different flow and textures within.

The name of the painting is from
a picture that was taken by my dad from a point on the rail road about 110 miles from Revelstoke, and Leanchoil is the name of the siding (or location) from which the picture was taken. My dad, as a railroader, and a skier has taken many painting worthy pictures in his time and this was one of many that has caught my eye....which I may add that he takes wonderful pictures which are constantly giving me more ideas for future paintings! I have this painting on display at Energy Matters in Revelstoke, BC but after this weekend I am taking it to donate it to the Chapter show/silent auction here in Kamloops, BC. The show opens on the 15th of April 2010, and runs until the 25th of April. It is located at the Old Courthouse which is now known as the Courthouse Gallery on 7 Seymour Street West. April is a ways away but mark it on your calendar cause there will be a band playing, awards, appetizers, drinks, a silent auction, and of course beautiful art for everyone to enjoy! As it comes closer to the opening I will remind everyone, but until then...I am off to paint!!!

P.S. Does everyone know it is already March? Holy... Where did 2010 go?

No comments:

Post a Comment