Tuesday, March 9, 2010

"Burnish"

Final Touch
The final varnish of this painting is what gave this painting the visual effect it needed to become what it is. It was really difficult to get a picture that really shows the painting's true colors and dimensions, but no picture of a painting will ever show the true painting. A picture or a print of a painting is just simply not a painting at all.
The painting its self contains of many layers of abstraction. The layers started very muted in color and soft in shape., and to be honest the style of the painting was going a very different way then what you see in front of you. Which is most likely my most favorite part of painting! As each day went by the painting spoke to me differently each day, and therefore a different layer was produced. I like this effect because it leaves a lot of different emotions in the shapes, colors, textures, and flow of the painting, which to me makes it complete. This one is a must see in person, either I am a terrible photographer or I am just trying to get my viewers to go and view my work, but either way you have got to go see it. :) This painting is a bit on the small side, and it has most definitely been an inspiration to do a larger one perhaps with a figure incorporated in it as well.
Now as I had said earlier the final varnish to seal the painting is what made this painting what it is. I wish I had known it would change so much with the particular varnish I was using and had taken a before and after picture for you to see. But what had happened was as I was applying the varnish part of the painting started to burn, sizzle, and evaporate into mid air, which left this pattern that looked like to me... burn marks. As it sizzled (I know how could I make my painting sizzle?) so quickly I stopped suddenly, and then instantly went... "cooooooool..." With that reaction I knew it was indeed a finished piece, and there you have it... "Burnish"

If you would like to view this piece along with ten other of my work visit the Sagebrush Theatre, located at:
1300 9th Avenue, in Kamloops, BC.
Their website is:
www.sagebrushtheatre.ca

1 comment: