Tuesday, November 9, 2010

"Begbie At Dusk" - Three Piece Painting

 "Begbie at Dusk"
Acrylic on Canvas
Size: 5 x 2.5, 7 x 4, 5 x 2.5 ft.
Completed: September 2009


This is one of my most favorite memories from 2009. This commission I spent probably the most time I have ever spent on a painting. I normally work quite quickly, as I get very infatuated with each painting that I am just itching to get back to it. (this also consists of me working on about 5 paintings at once, but I jump from painting to painting constantly...it's the itch, the ideas just keep flowing!)
However, this painting was so massive and quite detailed which kept me very occupied for the better part of the summer in 2009. Thank goodness I had 4 room mates at the time which just loved to see my painting supplies scattered all over the living room and a massive 7 x 8 foot canvas on the wall all summer...All in all it was a wonderful learning curve working with such a large scale and I can't wait for the next XLarge Commission!
If you like large work I completed "Enlightenment" - a 7x4 ft landscape painting in March 2010, which I now have on display at Energy Matters in Revelstoke, BC. If you'd like to preview this painting it is on page 10 of my website gallery.
Please



Now, here are some progress pictures of this massive painting! (As I look back now, I really enjoy the state that the mountain is in these progress pictures, it is very bold with the right amount of layers that give the mountain depth without the finishing details. Which is difficult because I love both styles very much!)
 As you can see I could not back up far enough in my living room to get a full picture of this painting in progress.


Now looking back just 6 months ago I was working just fine by setting up my painting supplies in my living room. As much as I love having my own painting space where I can leave my supplies out and can work a lot faster, I really did love working in a space where anyone in the house could watch and to socialize with. I really do paint best when I am in a happy environment. I often paint while talking on the speaker phone to friends and family. :) I especially love to paint landscapes while on the phone which have so much flow and movement to them.
I hope this could give you an idea of the size of the painting, every picture that was taken during the hanging process was always angled up as the living room's ceiling was probably close to 25ft up from the ground. Can you imagine the impact of a bright triptych painting of Begbie would be in a clean cut modern home? It was quite the day, and quite the turn out!

Even though this picture makes the painting look small and I look large when comparing a 5'4 woman to a 7 ft painting....
Just remember...this living space is massive!

I think this commission was amazing... I just love to work this way!!
Bigger! Brighter!.. Begbie!




Thanks for reading... Lets hear your comments! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment